An applicant to the Intensive English Program must be at least 17 years old and have obtained a high school diploma. Our applicants should have a genuine interest in studying English, as well as a commitment to English in order to be able to pursue an undergraduate or graduate degree in the field they wish to pursue.

IEP applicants must provide:

  1. A copy of the High School Diploma or College Diploma
  2. A completed and signed Application form

In addition to providing the items listed above, applicants requesting an I-20 for an F-1 visa must fill out the Office of International Services (OIS) I-20 request form and accompany it with a letter of financial support or a bank statement.

Applications and additional documents for an I-20 must be received 10 weeks before the beginning of the semester. The dates of study will be included in the I-20 form, which also serves as proof of admission.

Applicants provisionally admitted to another program or department at The Catholic University of America, who have an I-20 from that program, must only fill out the application form and pay the application fee at least one week before the beginning of the semester.

Applicants already matriculated in another program or department at CUA, who plan to take English classes on a part-time basis, must fill out the Application Form and hand it in at registration time.

Transfers from another U.S. university or language school must download, complete and turn in the transfer form to the international student officials from the institution that issued the I-20. They, in turn, will fax it to The Catholic University of America's International Student Scholar Services Office (202-319-5894), as instructed at the bottom of the form.

Students, who are younger than 26 years old, are required by a District of Columbia law to provide a complete immunization record. Details here.